The answer depends on the Apple AirPods you’re talking about. AirPod or the AirPod Pro?
There is a difference in size between the two incarnations of the AirPods.
While each product only comes in one size, Apple has addressed the problem of “one size fits all” with the AirPod Pro.
Let’s explain further.
There have been two generations of the AirPod.
Generation 1 (AirPods 1) was released in December 2016 and sold in the millions until replaced by the second-generation product (AirPod 2) announced in March 2019.
The Second-Generation AirPods 2 (or AirPods as they are called now) continue selling at the time of writing.
The compact design of the AirPod did not change between Gen 1 and Gen 2 and remains similar to Apple’s EarBuds but without wires. In The Verge (September 7, 2016), Nilay Patel commented, “They look… just like the old EarPods, with the wires cut off.”[
The dimensions of both generations are:
- Height 40.5 mm (1.59 inches)
- Width 16.5 mm (0,65 inches)
- Depth 18 mm (0.71 inches)
- Weight 4 grams ( 0.14 ounces)
The First-Generation AirPods Pro released in October 2019 was a complete revamp of the base-level AirPods when it comes to size.
The dimensions of the AirPods Pro are:
- Height 30.9 mm (1.22 inches)
- Width 21.8 mm (0,86 inches)
- Depth 24 mm (0.94 inches)
- Weight 5.4 grams ( 0.19 ounces)
They are a much shorter and stubbier version.
- The stems are dramatically shorter, with the height reducing from 1.59 to 1.22 inches
- The width grew from 0.65 to 0.86 inches
- The depth increased from 0.71 to 0.94 inches
But what was equally as important was the provision of three different size tips in the AirPods Pro.
So, no longer is it a “one size fits all” proposition.
The AirPods Pro Solution – Ear Tips
One size does pose problems because not everyone has the same sized ears. Goodness, often, your left ear is different in structure to your right. So expecting one size to provide the same experience to everyone is never going to happen.
And that’s if it stays lodged in your ear canal. How often do you hear people complaining their AirPods Pro fell out while walking, running, or working out. A real bummer. So being able to choose a size that is a better fit and fills the entire ear canal is a boon.
With the silicone surface ear tips, you can choose between small, medium, and large.
The tips provide a greater chance of enjoying a secure and comfortable fit to block out background noise. And using the best-sized ear tips will get you a better sound quality and noise cancellation.
How to choose which is the best fitting tip?
The aim is to ensure you make a good seal with your ear canal.
Out of the box, the AirPods Pro comes with the medium size already attached. The small and large ear tips are in with the charging cable. Look for the S, M, or L etched near the base inside the ear tip to tell the size.
Try the other two if the medium tips don’t fit securely, don’t feel comfortable, or there’s no good seal.
You’ll soon know whether they’re too small or too large. After that, it’s a matter of trying to get the best fit.
And to get to the best, you’ll have to remove and attach the tips.
How to change the ear tips
Remove by pulling at the base of the ear tip, where the AirPods Pro ear tip is attached.
To attach, put your fingers on the base of the ear tip, align it with the connector, and push until you hear it click into place.
What if you’ve changed the ear tip size, but you’re still not sure? The fit is comfortable, and there’s a good seal but are you experiencing the best possible sound quality and superior noise cancellation?
Try the Ear Tip Fit Test to confirm the fit is ok
With your AirPods Pro in your ears, take the following steps for the Ear Tip Fit Test (Source: support.apple.com):
- Go to Settings > Bluetooth on your iOS device
- Tap the info button next to your AirPods in the list of devices
- Tap Ear Tip Fit Test
- If you don’t see the Ear Tip Fit Test, make sure that you have iOS (or iPadOS) version 13.2 or later
- Tap Continue, then tap the Play button
- If the test suggests adjusting or trying a different ear tip, try changing your AirPods Pro and testing again.
- Then try a different size. For example, you might need different sizes for your left and right ears.
Still not happy with the fit of your AirPods Pro or AirPods?
What if your Apple AirPods still keep falling out of your ears or hurt after wearing them?
Here are some solutions that could help:
- Twist your AirPods up about 30 degrees to allow them to stay in place better
- Use Waterproof tape and adhere pieces near the top and bottom of each earbud to help stick the pods in your ear
- Damon AirPod silicon covers that help keep the pods in your ear
- EarSkinz AirPod silicon covers that help keep the pods in your ear
- AhaStyle Silicone Ear Hooks Cover where the hook catches in the ear to keep the pods in your ear
- EarBuddyz Silicone Earhooks Cover where the hook catches in the ear to keep the pods in your ear
- AirPod Grips have a large plastic hook to wrap around the whole ear to keep the pods in place
Do AirPods fit all ears?
Apple-designed the AirPods to fit as many ears as possible. But they do not suit all ears.
Similarly, with the AirPods Pro. Still, one size to fit as many ears as possible but with three different ear tips (small, medium, and large) to increase the number of ears possible.
What’s the size of AirPods?
The dimensions of the AirPods are 40.5 mm (Height) x 16.5 mm (Width) x 18 mm (Depth) (1.59 x 0.65 x 0.71-inches), 4 g (0.14 oz).
Can you change the size of AirPods?
There is only one size of regular AirPods available, so you cannot change the size. The same applies to the AirPods Pro except for the small, medium, and large ear tips supplied to allow them to fit into more ears.
Do AirPods fit small ears?
It depends on how small your ear canal is. However, the AirPods are designed to fit into most ears but not tiny ears. Therefore the AirPods Pro with the small-sized ear tips should do all but the smallest ear.
Which AirPods are better for small ears?
The best AirPods for small ears is the AirPod Pro, with the small ear tips fitted.
Do AirPods come with different size tips?
Only Apple’s AirPods Pro comes with different size tips, small, medium, and large.
Does Apple have any plans on releasing more sizes in future updates?
Nothing is confirmed, but there are rumors the AirPods Pro 2 will be released in two sizes in the second half of 2021. Watch this space.